Photo Courtosey of Taste of Homes
Wow is what I have to say about this recipe. It has got to be the best Homemade Mac & Cheese I have ever had. It is as good, if not better, as "Noodles, WI Mac & Cheese." It comes from The Taste of Homes Cookbook that I bought for my mother-in-law for Christmas. The chef's name is Cindy Hartley.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (We used a whole box of
- noodles, it may be too rich with only 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
DirectionsCook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Reduce heat; stir in the sour cream, process cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth and cheese is melted.
Drain macaroni; toss with cheddar cheese. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Stir in cream sauce.
Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.